Could you sue your landlord for damp and mould?

No matter where it is, damp and mould can not only make a room look unpleasant, but it can also have some negative effects on our physical health too. And earlier this year, a new law was passed stating that you can sue your landlord and make a housing disrepair claim if they fail to maintain their property and let hazards such as damp and mould grow.

The causes of damp and mould

Damp and mould occurs mainly in rooms that are exposed to high levels of moisture and humidity. For obvious reasons, the kitchen and bathroom are the common areas for the hazards to grow. And you can usually tell you have it if you spot dark patches on the walls or they feel cold or damp.

Here are some of the main causes of damp or mould in residential properties:

  • Rising damp – this is when moisture underneath a building rises through the walls of a building. Water is essentially sucked up through the bricks and the installed waterproof materials fail to do its job. If rising damp isn’t tackled quickly, mould and damp can occur.
  • Penetrating damp – this is caused by failures in the construction of the building, this can include poor drainage or gutters.
  • Condensation – occurs when excess moisture causes drops of water to emerge on the walls or ceiling of a property. This is the most common cause of damp or moisture.

When can you sue for damp or mould?

If you’ve noticed damp or mould has started to build up in your home and have ruled out any of your own behaviours as a cause e.g. not heating the property correctly, not using extractor fans, or not opening the windows often enough, you must let your landlord know immediately. If, after a reasonable amount of time, they fail to remedy the issue you may be able to take them to court.

And at this point, it could be worth getting in touch with a team of solicitors that have extensive experience in making housing disrepair claims to handle the legal case against your landlord.

What compensation could you recieve?

If you do take your landlord to court and win, the court could rule them to:

  • Carry out any repairs
  • Pay you out compensation for damage to your property or health, or both.
  • Cover the cost of any legal fees

If you think you have a case to make a housing disrepair claim and sue your landlord for mould or damp. Our specialist team has significant experience in managing and overseeing these form of claims and we completely understand claiming against someone like your landlord can feel like a daunting experience. We can guide you through the process step by step and get the housing disrepair compensation that you’re owed. Get in touch today.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *